Reports to: Director, Human Resources and Administration
Unit: Human Resources and Administration
The Chicken Farmers of Canada is an organization driven by being the trusted, preferred, and sustainable choice for Canadian Chicken. Chicken Farmers of Canada (CFC) is proud to raise the chicken Canadians can trust. What matters most to us is being responsible for leading and ensuring our farmers produce the right amount of fresh, safe, high-quality chicken. Sustainability, industry growth, and trust is in our DNA.
Reporting directly to the Director, Human Resources and Administration, the Administrative Communications and HR Officer is responsible for coordinating meeting and event logistics for Chicken Farmers of Canada. The Administrative Communications and HR Officer also acts as the primary recording secretary for CFC Committee and Working Group meetings, and provides support within the Human Resources & Administration unit.
Board meeting dates and venues
- Responsible for consultation with the Director of Market Information, the Director of Human Resources & Administration and the Executive Director, in discussing Board meeting dates and venues
- Preparing memo for Board meeting dates, to present to the CFC Board for approval
- Act as a direct liaison with hotel representatives, to confirm meeting space and guestroom availability for approved Board meetings
- Act as a direct liaison between CFC and Board of Directors for guestroom reservation coordination and booking (relating to rooming and priority lists).
- Support the Executive Assistant and the Director of Human Resources & Administration in preparing/planning the annual CFC summer Board meeting (alongside the host province)
- Act as a backup to the Executive Assistant for Board meeting preparation and minutes
- Recording secretary to internal Committees, including Audit; Allocation, Policies and Procedures; and Production, (and potential working groups)
- Take meeting notes and prepare minutes and meeting reports for approval; follow up on business arising from the minutes for future meetings
- Prepare the annual meetings calendar; coordinate the availability of members for ad hoc meetings and ensure that all committee members receive appropriate notice of meetings and conference calls
- Coordinate meeting logistics: hotel and meeting rooms; interpretation and AV; catering; document preparation and distribution
- Support with professional development courses – research places and courses when employees identify their needs / set up group training alongside the Corporate Services Coordinator/ coordinate lunch and learns for all staff, etc.
- Coordinates the recruitment of new staff, including search (posting jobs on LinkedIn, CFC websites, etc.), screening of all applicants (vetting resumes, asking follow up questions, booking interviews), and obtaining references [may sit in on interviews during Admin/HR processes or if any other unit needs support]
- Administrative orientation alongside the Corporate Services Coordinator, for new staff
- Reviews and adjusts staff evaluation templates in preparation for year-end evaluations
- On site health and safety representative
- Logistics and prep for the annual Orientation Seminar – sends out invites, ensures meeting space is adequate (whether on site at CFC or off site), if off site, ensuring guest rooms are booked for all attendees, catering ordered, documents prepped, work alongside Director, HR and Administration to review and finalize presentation with managers and key staff, attend seminar and deal with any logistics on day of
- Ensure travel business rates are obtained at local hotels for members looking to book individual business trips
- Obtain airline convention codes for all meetings, to prepare members for travel
Event logistics and support
- Provide general logistical support to CFC Directors
- Support the Director, Human Resources & Administration in preparing/planning CFC’s annual Orientation Seminar
- Support for the preparation and pre-meeting logistics for other CFC meetings/events, ie: venue and guestroom bookings, name badge preparation, registration, etc.
- Lobby Day, AGM, CFC summer meeting, etc.
Carries out all other duties as assigned by the Director, Human Resources and Administration and/or the Executive Director.
Education, Competencies and Experience
The Administrative Communications and HR Officer role is located in Ottawa, Ontario (in office). The role requires high attention to detail and a good sense of adaptability.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, or similar
- Maintaining a high level of confidentiality
- Prior experience recording meeting minutes and event logistics
- Advanced Office 365 experience or similar – including Microsoft Word and document formatting skills
- Ability to manipulate and make changes to Adobe PDF files
- Experience using SharePoint file sharing system, or similar, an asset
- Bilingual English/French (written and oral) a must
- May require some minimal travel